Tuesday, July 17, 2007

We just returned from Nauvoo, IL last night with our church youth group. It took about 6 1/2 hours each way. A little longer on the way home due to 3 severe thuderstorms in Iowa. Bad enough that we had to wait it out underneath overpasses. Despite the weather we had an amazing trip and felt our testimonies strengthen of the prophet Joseph Smith. He was an incredible man who persevered many trials. Yet he stayed strong with the help of the Savior. He really was a prophet of God and restored Christ's church on the earth again.

We left early Saturday morning. We were able to stay in the Nauvoo house which was built by Emma and her second husband Lewis Bidamon. It was right across the street from the Smith cemetery and on the Mississippi River. We visited several historical sites such as the brickyard where they showed us how the bricks were made for the buildings back in the mid 1800's and the blacksmith where they made horse shoes and wagon wheels. We also visited Carthage Jail where Joseph and his brother Hyrum were assassinated. We saw the Nauvoo pageant, hiked 3 miles with handcarts, did baptisms for the dead in the Nauvoo temple and walked the trail of hope. I have uploaded pictures on a different site because there were too many to put on here. You can see them at http://www.dropshots.com/laynandj The dates are wrong of when they were taken, but look on July 10-12.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I am so jealous you got to go to Nauvoo. I hope I am able to go next year - maybe I'll come see ya:)

Anonymous said...

I was hoping to go to Nauvoo for our 10 year anniversary, but that hasn't happend so far and here we are in our 11th year. Hopfully one day. Sounds like you're having some neat experiences. It looks like your house is coming along too. When do you hope to be in?
Brandy

The Grant Family said...

Hopefully by Christmas. That's if everything moves along smoothly and the weather cooperates.